Thursday, January 31, 2019

Debt Collective Comic


Last year I was approached by Laura Hanna at the Debt Collective to create a socio-political themed comic for their website that they were preparing to launch. A handful of other artists were asked to create something based on the topics the Debt Collective are trying to address and I was asked to create a comic about Neo-Feudalism, which is the idea that there is a rebirth of policies prevalent in feudal societies. But, Laura also wanted to give a hopeful message in the comic, encouraging that there is a way around the current state of affairs. I haven't done a lot of political work in the past few years, compared to how fired up I was about it right out of college, but it felt good to get back in it, and also read a bunch of infuriating news articles. Thanks to Laura at the Debt Collective for asking me to participate.

Below is the B&W version before the color was put down. The whole process of making a comic is very humbling and every time I work on one, which is not often, I always gain more respect for the people who really understand the medium and make it look easy. 


Here are a few close-up shots from some of the more detailed sections of the comic.





Process pics below.








No comments: