Friday, October 18, 2019

One Last Snack


As we enter the final days of "Character and Narrative" let us reflect on the things that almost were before August 15th. I had intentions of putting this lil' guy in the group of pieces I was bringing out for the show but time just ran too short and I couldn't land on a composition I liked so, I regretfully put it aside and got the pieces I was 100% sure on finished up. Luckily, Touchstone Center for Crafts reached out to me after I returned from Colorado to submit a couple pieces to their annual fall benefit and I knew exactly what piece I was going to submit. 

As much as I really wanted to include it in "Character and Narrative" I think I just had to walk away from it and give it time to be worked out in my head. I told some of my students this past summer that I like to think about my work in a cinematic way, in which I take a lot of my cues from how cameras frame a shot to convey an emotion. There's one shot that I particularly love and that is the classic, close-up angled shot from old horror movies when something bad is going down. And that was really all it took to lock the final look down. This, and another piece, will be for sale on October 18th at the Annual Touchstone Fall Benefit at the Pittsburgh Field Club. 







No comments: